Friday, October 14, 2011

DOLL BODY COMPARISONS: Blythe; Blybe; CCE; LBE; and OTHER CLONES

When I first discovered BLYTHE ... and realized I could not afford one ... and then figured I could get a clone and STILL accomplish my goal  (designing and producing dolly fashions to offer for sale ... )

I then discovered there is a whole OTHER WORLD of ... CLONES!!!

This was all very confusing.  But THANKS to all the wonderful flickr folks, you can find so many people who have comparison pictures, which helps a lot.

Here, I will post my own comparison pictures.  Some of the other clone pics I have found, are from various locations, but since I am not trying to sell anything here, or benefit in any other way besides INFORMATION ONLY, I am sure it will be okay.


Left to right:  REAL BLYTHE  (ADG Aztec Arrival) ... Center:  CCE (body with SPINDLY LEGS and arms)
Right:  This is a MARY-KATE & ASHLEY doll which I previously put on my CCE doll,
because I could not DEAL with the TWIG LIMBS!




BODIES: 
One of the FIRST THINGS to research was:  BODY SIZE.  Comparison of CLONE to the REAL BLYTHE … so that when I made my crochet fashions, I would be getting the size right.

            Here is what I have discovered:

            LBE:  Their TORSO and LEGS combined, make her about 1 inch taller than BLYTHE.

            Blybe:  CLOSE enough to BLYTHE although CHEAP-O made.

            CCE:  I could NOT DEAL with her spindly body.  Before commiting dolly-cide on her, I changed her body with a MARY-KATE & ASHLEY body that I had from when my niece used to come over and play dolls in the 90’s.  It was surprisingly VERY similar.  But ANYTHING would have been better than that TOOTHPICK CCE body.  HAD TO get rid of it.

            BLYTHE*:  It is what it is.  MANY different colors of plastic though:  her head is GREEN;  her torso is another color and her arms and legs are another color.  WHICH doesn’t matter much to me, as I do NOT like the skin showing on photo shoots.  I just DON’T.  (has nothing to do with modesty, I just don’t think it looks right.)

* I am referring to the only Blythe I have: The ADG (Ashton Drake Galleries) Aztec Arrival. 

 

 

HANDS                                      

Hand of Little Big Eyes Doll:  After I sliced between the fingers


            LBE:            Nice hands, made of rubber.  NOT hard-ass plastic.  I cut between each of their fingers, because I wanted to.

HERE you can see the "webbing" on the Blybe doll (cheaply produced)

            CLONE:  Definitely had some “webbing” going on, and had to cut off the overhanging pieces, obviously cheaply made.

            BLYTHE:  Left them as is.


FEET                               


            LBE:  Their feet are HUGE and FLAT. 

Color stained feet from LBE doll
Left:  Original size
Right:  I tried to "carve" them down because they were TOO BIG!

Left:  CCE Doll   Center:  Blybe Right:  Little Big Eyes
The large size of their feet was going to prove to be a bit of a
problem if I was ever planning to dress them in the extreme cuteness of Blythe and/or Barbie footwear!  

And for ME, the solution was simple, as I NEVER plan to have their FEET showing …. I just CARVED THEM ALL into BLYTHE SIZE FEET.  Sure, they don’t look that great, but the blonde ones have PINK FEET anyway, due to staining from the red boots, but again, as long as they can wear BLYTHE and/or BARBIE SIZE FOOTWEAR …. That is all I need.  I tried to make an “arch” but that was sort of futile … but at least I got the size down.

            BLYBE CLONE feet are okay.

            BLYTHE:  LEFT AS IS.


HERE are some of the CLONES out there:  (if anyone owns these pics and has any objections, by all means let me know and I will remove them from this directory):
"Blybe" ... has more of a "Blythe-like" shape body
Basaak  (Spindle body)



Close up of ICY DOLL and her wonky mouth ...

Strange looking ... this one is:  BLYTH  (no "E" )

I think this one was a "CCE" ... Color Changing Eyes

THIS is an "ICY" doll ... for some reason, they cost about $75. and above ... they have a VERY strange face (my opinion )


This one is called "JECCI 5" or something like that

<>
This one is really rather pretty ... saw this on ebay I think ...
BLYH  (no "T"  ... no "E"  )


YEP, JECCI FIVE  (I believe it was some sort of department store promo doll)


THIS is a LITTLE BIG EYES doll, that was on ebay I believe.
SHE is the same as MY LITTLE BIG EYES DOLL.
You can see that this person has done a bit of customizing on her
























I am sure there are many (?) other clones out there, but these are the ones I discovered in MY research.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you and congratulations for this page. As a Blythe fan, and as author of articles for doll collectors, I have conducted research on what has proved a complex world: the influences of Blythe. I found your article at the beginning of my research, and it remained the pivot around which to organize information on the subject.
    As far as I know, Blybe and Basaak are just counterfeits, although of acceptable quality regarding the price, for custom, assuming one doesn't want to modify an original Blythe much more expensive and who has her own strong personality already.
    The unexpensive CCE (no brand name)are fakes of poor or uneven quality.
    I do not consider Icy Dolls as fakes, they are rather imitations, of outstanding quality, and very different from Blythes in style, but they earn to receive some aesthetic enhancements. At least, they have a brand name that does not lead to confusion.
    Under the name Blyh, one can find randomly small dolls (Middie, Little), whose heads are interesting and the bodies are worthless.
    But thing can still change.

    Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alkiyan! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    For sure, you are RIGHT! I am sure you know WAY more about these dolls than I do ... and to be honest, I ONLY have a Blybe and CCE in my possession, to compare with the "real Blythe" dolls that I also have purchased. I do not own an Icy Doll, although I have seen quite a few on the auction site, and even considered getting one! You bring up such good points, about her having her own brand, etc... and regarding the "quality" ... I think one can ONLY know for sure, when they have one in their possession, as you probably have.

    I wish you success in your writing career, and I feel honored that you took the time to stop by, to read, and to comment ... and to impart further knowledge to whomever may be reading this information ... Thank you so much! Heidi @ Blythe Fifth Avenue (formerly, Swan Love Designs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating and so complete!!!
    I have only got Blythes because I started collecting in 2008. There were no copies made at the time, that we knew of.
    Now however I am having my own problems trying to understand the proper size of a Blythe Middie!

    I think that the Olsen dolls being chubbier is funny, considering everyone often complains that the ladies IRL are too thin!
    Very best wishes, Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Jean! Wow ... I did not realize that the "Clone World" was so new! I just wish someone out there had told me (us) not to bother with the clones if you want to "practice" customizing ... I mean, that is truly like telling someone who wants to "practice" running a marathon to START training in flip flops .... OR like "practicing" baking an apple pie with oranges!! I mean, seriously, there is NO comparison ... I wasted SO much time and money with these clones, look-a-likes, big-eye-dolls, whatever you want to calll them.

      VERY funny about the "chubby" Olsen dolls! Highlarious! Thanks for stopping by!
      xoxo
      Heidi

      Delete
  4. How did the head fit on the marykate and Ashley doll? Was it a smooth swap? I am considering doing the same.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I just reviewed my own photo above, and for the life of me, don't understand WHY I did not include the neck area!?! WHAT was I (not) thinking!!?? Sorry about that.

      As I recall, I may have had to use a few plastic discs, which I made myself from the hard plastic packaging you get with products ... it is thin enough to use one layer, and then stackable by tiny increments. I simply cut a circle/ donut shape, cut a slit for installation, and begin stacking until the head does not wobble.

      As far as taking the heads off, I had no problems doing that. Sorry I could not be more specific, as I don't have that body around any longer. Thanks for stopping by, and Happy Customizing !

      Delete
  5. I knew their was a clone world for lots of dolls. I collect American girl dolls and have about 16 and I have seen many clones. I just got my pullip a month and a half ago and I started to know about Blythe dolls. I like some of the cloned like dolls like jecci 5 and blybe(even though I have only seen pictures) but yah the Blythe look cuter by a land slide. ~Brooke :)

    ReplyDelete